Creating an Application
The criteria the Knauss Selection Panel uses to score applications can be found in the official federal funding opportunity, and are listed below as well.
- Recommendations and/or endorsements of student (15 percent total): Endorsement/content of the letter from the applicant's major professor, and the second letter of recommendation.
- Academic record and statement of career goals and objectives of student (45 percent total): Quality of the applicant's personal education and career goal statement (30 percent); Strength of academic performance (15 percent).
- Additional relevant experience (40 percent total) related to: diversity of education, extracurricular activities, honors and awards, and interpersonal, written, and oral communications skills. For the Knauss Sea Grant Fellowship Program, relevant experience would be in marine or aquatic-related fields.
At the national review, evaluation criteria are identical to that at the state or territory level, except that in criteria (1), the letter of endorsement from the sponsoring Sea Grant program director will also be considered.
Below are some of the issues the Knauss Selection Panel typically focuses on during their discussions. The discussion includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Was the Goal Statement specific, direct, and concise while discussing what the applicant would bring to and gain from the Knauss Fellowship? Was a career or life goal stated?
- Did the applicant have volunteer and extracurricular activities?
- Did the recommendation letters demonstrate knowledge of the applicant and his/her abilities? Did they know the applicant more than as a participant in a class? Was the 2nd letter from a diverse activity (not from 2 professors working in one lab)?
- Did the applicant have a diverse background including a diversity of classes (balanced and appropriate coursework)?
- What was the strength of the academic achievement?
- How much marine and aquatic science and /or policy experience did the applicant have?
- Was the publication record relevant to the applicant’s career stage?
- Are acronyms defined?
- Are there misspelled words and/or grammatical errors?
Ideas for Personal Education and Career Goal Statement:
- Addressing how your past experiences relate to the Fellowship is important, but also address how, as a result of this experience, your career could be enhanced.
- Your statement must be 1000 words or less.
- 12 pt. Font is recommended.
- If you have a placement preference, please state either Legislative or Executive branch. This preference will be honored to the extent possible. DO NOT state a particular office
Ideas for 2-page Resume:
- Do not exceed TWO pages. Any additional pages will be deleted.
- With only two pages, choose your words and presentation carefully.
- Diversity of activities, classes, extracurricular awards, and volunteer activities are categories that reviewer seek out.
- Publications (in review, in press, or published) and oral/poster presentations should be listed. Papers for classes are not considered.
For Further Information
If you have any questions, please contact your nearest Sea Grant program (see the list of Sea Grant programs for telephone numbers), or contact:
NOAA National Sea Grant Office
Tel. (301) 734-1067