It’s almost time for summer fun outdoors and on the water, and that means it’s time to remember, safety first! Sea Grant programs across the nation share information and advice related to safe practices in coastal environments. As we approach summer, be sure to check out these resources for boating and coastal recreation safety.
- Complete this pre-trip checklist before boating. (Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant)
- Going kayaking? Review these five basic safety questions before paddling. (Maine Sea Grant)
- Boating safety has a new COVID-19-related element now. Review the extra precautions boaters can take. (New York Sea Grant)
- Be a coastal steward and respect surrounding habitat and wildlife while boating. (Georgia Sea Grant)
- Watch this video to learn about how to correctly use inflatable life jackets, what type of one to wear and how to keep your life jacket in good condition. (Texas Sea Grant)
- Make sure your boating emergency survival kit addresses four elements — shelter, signals, fire starter and personal needs. (Mississippi-Alabama Sea Grant)
Activities in the water
- Break the grip of the rip. Learn what to do if you are caught in a rip current. (North Carolina Sea Grant)
- Which is more hazardous: sharks or rip currents? (New Jersey Sea Grant)
- Surf’s up! But if it has rained recently, don’t jump in just yet. Rain can wash contaminants into waterways, which may pose a danger for 3 days after storms. (California Sea Grant)
With hurricane season starting June 1, it’s also important to familiarize yourself with risks from coastal storms. Here are steps you can take to become more knowledgeable and prepared.
- Dispel hurricane myths while learning about emergency supplies to gather and evacuation planning. Also, find hurricane-related webinars for kids. (Woods Hole Sea Grant)
- Are you familiar with evacuation zones? Find information about evacuation zones, local evacuation routes and customized municipal preparedness, in addition to general resources on hurricane preparedness. (Connecticut Sea Grant)
- Learn about flood risk, flood insurance and how to prepare for a flood. (Delaware Sea Grant)
- Prevent wind and hurricane damage to structures with these tips. (South Carolina Sea Grant)